Several bugs in recent updates to Microsoft Windows 10 cause Visual Studio to crash when certain extensions, including Visual Assist, are installed:
- Windows 10 Build 15063.608, issued Sept 12th, broke Windows hook procedures located in high memory.
- Windows Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update), released Oct 17th, broke also CreateWindow() and CreateWindowEx().
Microsoft is actively seeking resolutions. Fixes should be released on a Patch Tuesday.
If you run Windows 10, and:
- You want to try Visual Assist, wait for the problems to be resolved before starting your trial.
- You use Visual Assist, you have not yet installed the Fall Creators Update, and:
- Visual Studio crashes when you open dialogs of Visual Assist, disable Visual Assist. You are likely suffering from the broken hook mechanism.
- Visual Studio does not crash, keep your version of Windows, i.e. delay installation of the Fall Creators Update.
- You use Visual Assist, you installed the Fall Creators Update, and components of the Visual Assist UI fail or Visual Studio crashes, disable Visual Assist or try rolling back to the previous version of Windows. You are likely suffering from CreateWindow() failures.
Visit our discussion forums or contact us if you have questions or need technical support.
Stay tuned for our next announcement regarding the recent Windows 10 updates.
You must log in to post a comment.